Tuesday, March 31, 2009

God Bless Grandma Iny!!

I never had a Grandma Iny, but after making one of her recipes last night, I wish I had! Pioneer Woman is the one with the Grandma Iny, and she and her grandma are genius in the kitchen.

I read this recipe on PW's blog a few weeks ago and the idea of it had been haunting me ever since. I made sure I had all the ingredients about a week ago. I only had to buy the buttermilk as I keep everything else on the list in my kitchen anyway. I had the pan and the ingredients that weren't refridgerated out on my counter all week, just waiting. I spent the weekend at Sheldon's wishing I was home so I could make it.

Last night I got home from work and exercised first, but then I went into the kitchen and set to work. It wasn't work though. It was truly a joy. There is something about baking from scratch that puts you in touch with all the women who came before you. As I mixed the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and folded in the secret ingredient, I just felt such peace. And excitement. It smelled SO good while it was baking. So Good. Miles came home while it was in the oven, he knew what the secret ingredient was because he had seen the recipe on the counter, so he was very suspicious. But he couldn't get past the smell, it smelled GOOD!

Miles loaded the dishwasher while I cleaned up from the cake and starting making the icing. He was still suspicious, but the smell was pretty magical. I took the cake out of the oven and poured the icing over it as instructed and we left the kitchen. Miles went into his room for a while and when he came out I was eating some cake with a big glass of milk. He asked if it was good. I assured him it was. He hesitated. I offered him a bite of mine. He tasted it. His eyes rolled back in his head and he turned and sprinted for the kitchen. He was back in a flash with his own piece and his own glass of milk.

I cut some for a neighbor who I always share yummy stuff with. I cut another piece for the mom up the street who drives Miles to school everyday, I cut another piece for Miles and I took the rest to work. It has been a hit on all fronts.

Here is the recipe. Don't let the secret ingredient scare you! I promise, you'll be blessing Grandma Iny too!

No comments:

Post a Comment